INSIGHTS AND RESOURCES
5 action areas that CFOs should address for rapid recovery
INSIGHT ARTICLE |
Authored by RSM US LLP
As states relax restrictions and continue with COVID-19-related reopening measures, CFOs need to take swift action to refocus their energy moving forward. The right decisions will help to drive recovery, position the organization for rapid recovery and ensure the company thrives in the future. Now is the time for CFOs to take action and build business agility in these five key areas:
- Costs – CFOs should continue to focus on cost and cash flow management to best position their business for rapid recovery. Reevaluate your supplier and vendor contracts and think about shifting your fixed costs to variable costs where possible. Consider fully moving to the cloud, and outsourcing noncore functions (such as IT, finance, payroll, internal audit and tax) to increase the agility of your business.
- Process – Prioritizing process optimization is critical for CFOs. Leverage what you learned when you were forced to conduct your close remotely and permanently leverage financial close automation platforms to optimize your financial close process. Evaluate where automation can help streamline your processes across your organization to manage overall costs.
- Risk – CFOs should retrospectively evaluate what worked well and what did not work well during the COVID-19 crisis. Every company’s risk profile has changed given the crisis so refreshing your risk assessment especially around technology may be wise. Business continuity and disaster recovery plans should be enhanced and strengthened, and cybersecurity policies and procedures should be updated to adjust for workforces that may continue to work remotely.
- People – As a result of COVID-19, many organizations were forced to decrease headcount. You should consider critically evaluating the need to rehire staff and consider the potential value of outsourcing noncore business functions (variable cost model), as well as the potential to leverage automation throughout the organization to supplement staff.
- Customers – CFOs need to know their customers and have clear data and insight as to the cost of customer acquisition and retention and the ever-evolving demand for their products and services. You should make sure your customer relationship management (CRM), enterprise resource planning (ERP), corporate performance management (CPM) solutions and additional financial systems are integrated and provide a clear picture of your customers’ buying habits and to help identify new ways to drive revenue.
Timing will be critical as the COVID-19 pandemic subsides and the business environment steadily recovers. A trusted advisor can provide an unbiased analysis of each of these key areas, and help to outline a plan for post-pandemic success.
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at email@example.com or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by Bill Kracunas and originally appeared on 2020-07-17.
2020 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.