INSIGHTS AND RESOURCES
Exempt organization inflation adjusted items for 2021
TAX ALERT |
Authored by RSM US LLP
The IRS announced the annual inflation adjustments applicable to tax years beginning in 2021 (typically, returns filed in 2022) for more than 60 tax provisions, including those affecting exempt organizations, in Rev. Proc. 2020-45 and IR-2020-245.
Of particular interest to exempt organizations are the following items:
- The exemption of annual dues paid by members to agricultural or horticultural organizations increases from $171 (2020) to $173 (2021)
- Low cost articles, for purposes of defining an unrelated trade or business, increases from $11.20 (2020) or less to $11.30 or less (2021)
- Insubstantial benefits that may be received by a donor without reducing the value of the charitable contribution deduction increases from $11.20, $56, and $112 (2020) to $11.30, $56.50, and $113 (2021)
- The dues limitation to qualify for the reporting exception for nondeductible lobbying expenditures increases from $119 or less (2020) to $120 or less (2021)
- The penalty associated with a failure to file a 2021 Form 990-T within 60 days of the due date shall not be less than $435 or 100% of the amount required to be shown as tax
- The penalty associated with a failure to a 2021 Form 990, Form 990-EZ or Form 990-PF increases as follows:
- Organizations with gross receipts of $1,094,500 or less: $20 per day, not to exceed the lesser of $10,500 or 5% of gross receipts
- Organizations with gross receipts exceeding $1,094,500: $105 per day, not to exceed $54,500
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by Alexandra Mitchell, Morgan Souza and originally appeared on 2020-10-27.
2020 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
The information contained herein is general in nature and based on authorities that are subject to change. RSM US LLP guarantees neither the accuracy nor completeness of any information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for results obtained by others as a result of reliance upon such information. RSM US LLP assumes no obligation to inform the reader of any changes in tax laws or other factors that could affect information contained herein. This publication does not, and is not intended to, provide legal, tax or accounting advice, and readers should consult their tax advisors concerning the application of tax laws to their particular situations. This analysis is not tax advice and is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.