Optimizing your tech stack to future-proof your finance function
ARTICLE | December 11, 2023
Authored by RSM US LLP
Today’s complex business models must handle global expansion, acquisitions and seamless development of new products and services. That strain, coupled with ongoing talent shortages and stricter cost management edicts, means modern CFOs and finance leaders are under more pressure than ever. Adopting a modern tech stack provides a foundation that delivers financial accuracy, agility and rapid strategic insights critical to business success.
Today’s finance tech stack looks very different from just a few years ago. Your enterprise resource planning (ERP) system is now only one leg of the stool, and its general finance functionality is often not powerful enough. To truly compete, you need to augment your environment with an extra layer of finesse, achieved through fit-for-purpose solutions (specialized solutions that perform a specific task efficiently and accurately). By cherry-picking the right fit-for-purpose solutions, embracing automation, fully integrating your data and leveraging advanced analytics, you can build a solid finance foundation that supports growth and enables your teams to spend more time on value-added activities.
Within the end-to-end finance processes below, fit-for-purpose solutions use automation to benefit the organization in the following ways:
1. Financial close
- Using high-volume transaction matching to reduce reconciliation time from days to minutes
- Automating journal entries and reconciliations to shorten the financial close cycle and/or allow more time for analysis and insights
- Utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) to more quickly and easily generate explanations for account balance fluctuations
- Using pre-mapped allocation and elimination configurations to automate the consolidation process, delivering a shorter close and faster reporting
2. Reporting and compliance
- Aggregating, integrating and linking data to generate financial statements and other required reporting to ensure connected, consistent reporting both internally and externally
- Adopting tools to efficiently track and test internal controls and SOX compliance, leveraging a digital workflow
3. Planning & bedgeting
- Deploying corporate performance management and enterprise performance management tools to seamlessly aggregate enterprise-wide inputs in organizational planning, providing constant visibility to leaders
- Using scenario planning automation to create a simple, fast, flexible system that can account for different scenarios, variables and drivers
4. Lead to cash
- Accounts receivable solutions using machine learning to manage credit/AR, automate the application of cash receipts and increase working capital and working cash flow
5. Treasury management
- Aggregating cash positions through bank connectivity to provide visibility into the organization’s working capital
- Automating tracking and prediction of cash inflows and outflows to improve cash forecasting and enable optimal use of working capital
- Enabling more sophisticated treasury strategies for risk management and investment
In the current, uncertain economic environment, performance efficiency is pivotal. Smart middle market firms are accelerating their financial transformation and automation journey to achieve it.
A tech stack architected as an ecosystem of integrated technologies is the strongest foundation for operational efficiency and sustainable growth.
Finance leaders who prioritize a modern tech stack and craft a systematic implementation strategy will position their companies for continued success. Additionally, their teams will be primed to leverage emerging technologies like AI, machine learning and predictive analytics as they become more mainstream in the middle market.
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at email@example.com or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2023-12-11.
2022 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of the RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.