INSIGHTS AND RESOURCES
PCAOB conversations with audit committee chairs
FINANCIAL REPORTING INSIGHTS |
Authored by RSM US LLP
The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) recently released its 2020 Conversations with Audit Committee Chairs. This document summarizes discussions PCAOB inspection teams had with nearly 300 audit committee chairs regarding the following topics:
- The auditor and communications with the audit committee – Audit committee chairs frequently cited both verbal and written communications with their auditors as being extremely important to audit quality and their overall relationship with their auditors. Most audit committee chairs commended their auditor’s communications, commonly sharing that they were thorough, timely and at the right level of detail and frequency. Areas for improvement included, among others:
- Managing global audit operations
- Helping more junior audit team members learn the company’s business
- Independence communications
- Increased visibility into and discussion around fee changes
- New auditing and accounting standards – In overseeing the implementation of new accounting and auditing standards, audit committees noted that the following actions, among others, worked well:
- Asking the auditors to provide the audit committee early notice and frequent updates when new standards are being implemented
- Setting aside time for educational sessions where auditors can explain and answer questions about how new audit requirements may impact the audit
- Requesting that auditors communicate their approach to, and any possible challenges associated with, the implementation of new auditing standards and auditing the implementation of new accounting standards
- Emerging technologies – Many audit committee chairs cited potential benefits from the use of emerging technologies, but also were wary of the risks that come with such technologies. They commonly noted cybersecurity risk as the thing that keeps them up at night. Another risk cited was overreliance on technology leading to less attention to or emphasis on preparer and auditor judgment, experience or professional skepticism.
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at email@example.com or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2021-02-03.
2020 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of the RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.