The intersection of ESG matters with governmental accounting standards
ARTICLE | June 06, 2022
Authored by RSM US LLP
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Staff recently released a paper to explain how environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters are related to public accountability, and how ESG matters may affect amounts reported and disclosed in the financial statements.
The document defines environmental, social and governance matters for the purpose of the document and provides examples of topics commonly considered as ESG matters in these broad categories. The document explains how ESG matters intersect with public accountability in many GASB standards. Examples are also provided to illustrate how the GASB’s authoritative guidance that supports assessments of accountability intersects with ESG matters.
Further, the document sets out examples of areas where ESG matters may be considered when applying the GASB standards, including those related to:
- The useful life and residual value determination for capital assets, as well as asset impairment (e.g., damage caused by floods)
- Asset retirement obligations and expenses
- Accrual and disclosure of loss contingencies
- Valuation approaches to determine fair value for assets held as an investment by endowments
- Costs of closing municipal solid waste landfills
- Pollution remediation liabilities and expenses
- Premiums specifically identified as being collected for future catastrophes for public entity risk pools
- The condition of infrastructure assets and other capital assets
- Disclosures about related party transactions
- The identification of major component units for the reporting entity
- The recognition of special assessments for capital improvements that are not provided by the government
- Reductions in tax revenues because of tax abatements
- Reporting unemployment compensation benefit plans in an enterprise fund
- The description of component units within the reporting entity and its relationship to them, and the nature of accountability for those organizations, in the note disclosures
- Identifying joint ventures, related organizations, and jointly governed organizations
- The description of any employee termination benefits
- Disclosures about any Chapter 9 bankruptcies
- Recognition of postemployment benefits
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2022-06-06.
2022 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of the RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.